Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Tribute To My Family

Good morning on this beautiful Memorial Day. Welcome Through My Back Door. I am so happy you took time on this busy day to drop by. I am going to have to tell you this morning the coffee is plain old DD.Not flavored, because I hadn't planned on having you today. You see after I did my morning devotions I was thinking about this day and what it means. We all know someone who has lost their life that we may continue to live free. We all know someone who has served and someone who is serving today. I never thought of my family as a military family. BUT, this morning it occurred to me we are. I have an Uncle Dillon that served in WW2. He was a decorated soldier. He had no children, so I put a flag on his grave on Memorial Day. My only brother-in-law,Bruce, is buried in Arlington, as he was wounded in Vietnam, and was a two time Purple Heart Recipient. He was a Captain in the USMC.His burial at Arlington was one of the most impressive things I have ever witnessed in my life. Seeing the exchange of the remains from the hearse to the  horse drawn caisson, is a spiritual reverence I can't describe. Being in Arlington is like walking on hallowed ground. I have an uncle,JN, buried there too. He also was a Marine and one of the first influences on my son.I have a second cousin,Justin Peterson,who died too young in Iraq. He was also a Marine.  My oldest son,Doug, was in the Marine Corp too. My only sister in law, Margaret, retired a Captain from the Navy. Actually she and my brother-in-law met when he was wounded and she was his nurse. (He liked to say she withheld his pain meds until he agreed to marry her.lol) Then still serving today in the Army, is my niece Kate. She has done 3 tours in the middle east. I am so proud of her and her commitment, The backpack she had to carry in Iraq is bigger than her!  Yes, I think we are indeed a Military family. So to each of you I say thank you today for your contribution. I am so proud of each and everyone of you and for the sacrifices you have made. I love you.
To everyone of our Military serving today, or who has served in the past, I say thank you. I pay tribute to your families who have sacrificed so you can do your calling. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Thank you for coming Through My Back Door where life is good.
betty

If you would like to read my cousin dales blog about Memorial Day:
Dale Peterson  
His  son died in Iraq

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to those in your family and those everywhere who have served and are serving in our Military. May God bless them. I am glad I came through your back door today and we got to visit about your family members who have loved this great country and served her with honor.
    Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.I love to read your comments.