Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Heavenly Tea and What Moves Me

Good afternoon everyone and welcome Through My Back  Door. The porch is awaiting another coat of darker paint, but they are predicting storms so it will have to wait another day. Today I think we will sit out on the patio and have a glass of heavenly tea. We can talk or just "be." Whatever you choose to do.
Here is where we will sit. It is one of my favorite spots. It is shady just about all day long. I love this quiet spot and have my coffee here lots of mornings.
I'll give you a glass of tea. It is my families favorite.
I'll be glad to share the recipe. you take four tea bags, a sprig of mint, add 2 cups cold water, add 2-3 cups boiling water, and let set an hour. Remove tea bags and mint. Add 1 cup sugar, 6oz frozen lemonade concentrate, 2 cans apricot nectar, and 2 teaspoons almond flavoring. Stir and add 3more cups cold water. It is so good. I don't recommend you make this is a plastic pitcher. I bought a redware pitcher just for this. Any kind of crockery would work.This recipe came from the Mitford Cook Book, by Jan Karon. I have altered it a bit to suit my taste.Many of you probably have read the Mitford series. If not I recommend them. They are good books. Enjoy the tea. BTW, the glass tray it is setting on belonged to my maternal great grandmother Addy. It was her bread plate and was a wedding gift to her.
I love using things that belonged to my family. Don't you?
I don't know if any of you like kerosene lights or not, but I do. I had quite a collection at one time, but ran out of room, so I only kept a few. I'll share them with you. some of them are special. None of them are spectacular to anyone but me.
This was my great grandmother Beckys.It is special. She called my great grandfather Mr. Wright. As a child I found that so weird.Come to think about it as an adult I still do.lol
The one in the middle is special. It
was the one my Daddy kept in his shanty at the well machine. The other one on the left,is a smaller one known as a sick or courting lamp.
These two are special. They are a matched pair and a gift from my husband when I first started collecting.
 This is just a little miniature I thought was cute. I hope you enjoyed my small collection.
So what moves you? One of the things that moves me is a heart necklace I had made out of some old worn out rings that were my Mothers and Grandmothers. I have stated before I was an only child and only grandchild on my Mothers side. My Mother, Grandmother and I were very close. My grandmother was the ONLY person in the world who thought I was perfect. lol Anyway after she died, Mother and I were going through jewelery and I decided I wanted something special made from both of them. Something I could keep forever. I wear this often and I feel they are so close to me. So this little gold necklace is what moves me, when I see it or when I wear it.
I am so glad you came Through My Back Door today where life is good.
betty

9 comments:

  1. Awesome collection of oil lamps.
    My Hubs loves collecting these too.
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a glass of that tea in a shady spot! It does sound heavenly and I loved the Mitford series. Father Tim is one of my all time favorites characters and I often say the Mitford series are my all time favorite reads!

    Every time I look at my left hand, it moves me. My mom's mom (Nany)gave her a 5 stone diamond band ring when she retired and moved to Cape Cod (90 minutes from here). When Nany died and my folks wanted to move back this way, I took care of most of the details of their move back. My mom surprised me with the ring after they were settled. It means so much to me to have this special piece of jewelry. Family pieces are so special!!

    Thanks for the visit! I so enjoyed it!! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have fond memories attached to a lot of the things that you cherish. I have quite a few old kerosene lamps, I will share them, one of these days. My first one is from when I was a child and I got it on a trip, it is a totem
    pole. I am really surprised that I still have it. Thanks for the tea recipe, it sounds wonderful!

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty......yes I have read all of those books. They are all so good.
    And.......I have that cook book, got a deal on it at a yard sale for just 3.00!
    Love your patio......did that sweet SIL of yours help you with that?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Betty! The necklace is beautiful! What a special remembrance!
    I will sit on that patio with you before long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty, set a big ol' glass of that tea in the back of the ice box for me!

    I love the necklace, how sweet and sentimental.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty,
    I love it! All of it! I have a diamond watch from my Grandma, I never wear it, but when I see it, I am reminded. I love all your lamps!
    You have a lovely patio! I'd sit there anytime and have some tea or coffee with you!
    Have a great night!
    Hugs,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I collect oil lamps! I just love the history behind them.
    I also love the brick pavers for a patio. We used to have a small patio made with pavers. Loved it.
    Thank you, Betty, for your nice comments on my blog. Please consider adding your email address to your profile so I can respond to your comments! I would love to be able to communicate directly after reading your comment! Thanks....★Linda★
    Also please think about doing away with word verification to make commenting easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tea looks so inviting and I love your lamps!
    Thank you for the well wishes for my hubby- he is doing well.
    I need to email you about Santa pinkeeps.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.I love to read your comments.