Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Words, Pictures, or Both?

What a beautiful afternoon here in East Tn. We are expecting some rain this evening, but it has been a glorious day. Get your cup and lets enjoy a cup of Kona. There is cake too, so help yourself to that. The domino girls are coming tomorrow and we love our sweets. Yellow cake with caramel icing.It is my favorite you know.I have always heard a picture is worth a 1000 words. That is true, I guess.
That is probably not even debatable, but have you ever thought about the words in your prim decor? I decided to look around and see how many words I decorate with and this is what I found. Before you come Through My Back Door, you see words.
This sign says A Gathering of Crowes. A gift from Civil Folks.(Pam and Frank)Then if you should just happen to come in the front door,(You probably won't, but if you did) more words.
Deb painted this for us a long time ago. It wouldn't matter which door you enter, words, greet you. Inside there are more words.
This hangs over my chair in my reading nook. Yes, another Deb painting.
This sampler was done by Amanda. The red letters spell MOM because that is what she calls me.
This was done for me by my friend Sally who has moved out of state.
I love this Emily Dickinson poem. It says a lot in just a few words. Don't you think?
I love this little one word sampler that my friend Linda Stinson gave me. If we stop dreaming we have stopped hoping.
This was done by Linda Parker, most commonly called Linda Claus because of her generosity.
I have had this for years. Words of wisdom, huh?
This is my bible bag. When Amanda started kindergarten, due to her sister being in the hospital, I had to take her. From the car to the school door she recited this verse over and over. It has now become "our" verse.
Now the next two "words" aren't prim. One is sincere and the other funny.
My friend Shirley gave me this. It speaks the truth.There are times I don't know what I would do with out all of my wonderful friends.
This is probably the least prim thing in my house. However, it always makes me laugh when I see it. It says,if you can't make it out, "I am in the snapdragon part of my life. Part of me has snapped and the other part is draggin'". I love it. I treated myself to this in Gatlinburg one time.
Well I hope you enjoyed the coffee and cake as well as the words, Through My Back Door where life is good.
betty
PS: Words. A weighty subject. Think about them. They can build up, they can tear down, they can soothe, they can hurt. They can begin a friendship, they can end a friendship. Think about words before you use them. My prayer is I will only use words that are kind and will encourage. I hope you will too.

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet , thoughtful post. You are right, the wrong words can destroy friendships, the right words can build true friendships. Words can cause fear, joy, peace. Shows how important it is to choose words wisely and carefully. Hope Amanda is doing well. Happy Easter!--Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your words, Betty! Have a wonderful Easter!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Betty! Words to live by, for sure, and I know that I, for one, can definately relate to the "snapdragon" time of life!!
    Enjoy your evening.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post again. My mom used to wake us up every morning with the verse "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." It is also on her grave stone. My daughter also gave me a bible bag with the verse on it. It is great how those simple words can travel through generations. Blessings for a great Holy week. ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed looking at the words throughout your home Betty. I love the sign with your last name on it and of course the stitched piece that spells mom in red, how very sweet!!

    So true about words! It's amazing how quickly they can tear down or build up. I pray that I can use mine wisely too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty,
    I love the last picture! It made me laugh, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word! One that describes you is 'peaceful'. When we met you we felt such peace. I know it was the Holy Spirit dwelling in your heart and home.

    Loved your 'words' today.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post Betty. As I read, I didn't want it to end. LOVE the "snapdragon picture. Made me laugh out loud and caused M. P to look up from his paper. I can relate as I have done deep cleaning upstairs all day. Yep, tonight I am a draggin. Have a wonderful evening.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. Enjoyed taking a tour thru your "words."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post Betty Friend!
    Wonderful words, coffee and CAKE!
    Oh what a good day.
    Hugs Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, great post. You sure do have a way with "words" Betty. You are a wonderful blogger. Loved seeing all your word pictures, the one from Amanda is so special. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I would love to come in your back door and visit awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betty~ Wonderful words framed~ hope you girls had a fun night , the cake sound delicious~
    blessings~
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betty,

    I loved all your words! I especially love the sign that Debbie painted for you that welcomes folks at the front door! :) I did a post similiar to this and was really surprised at how many words I had about my house. They really said alot about us I think. And you are right....what is it the Bible says....can't remember the words exactly but the power of life and death are in the tongue. How is that for the importance of what you speak? Wow!

    Loved your post! Thanks again for all your help on the furniture! And I pray Amanda is doing well!

    Hugs!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Miss Betty,
    I enjoyed all your words! I too am a fan of them! I like your "Snapdragon" piece! Too cute!
    I hope that you have a Happy Easter.
    I am tickled that you got to meet Tammy from Country Girl at Home! How fun!
    Take care,
    Hugs,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betty, that cake sounds yummy, Never would have thought to add carmel icing to a yellow cake. Nothing like a piece of cake to go with my coffee. I love all the pics with sayings. I hope you had a nice visit with your friends.
    Enjoy your Easter weekend.
    Tamera
    Country at heart

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely collection! I especially like the one done by Amanda. And a very Happy Easter to you and your family, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So wise to think before we speak. Words can do all you mentioned. I recently read a church sign that read (keep your words sweet - you never know when you may have to eat them) you have many wonderful things with words & best of all the memories behind each. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  19. And yours are truly words of wisdom Miss Betty. I think all of us could do well to remember the import of our words before letting them forth into the world. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.I love to read your comments.