Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Half Way Through The Fourth Quarter

Good morning and welcome Through My Back Door. Grab a cup of coffee(we have Deathwish Coffee again, Mothers Day gift from Lindsey and Curt)) and help yourself to some homemade apple cobbler. I have had company so there is something sweet. It has been a wonderful week here. Mothers Day as usual was so nice, My kids and grand kids spoil me terribly.  I am blessed and I know it.I am thankful for it as well. The best part of Mothers Day is getting to be with all of my babies, maybe not at the same time, but during the day. Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed every minute. I am going to share a gift I got. There were a lot of nice ones, but I thought you all would enjoy this.
I hope you can enlarge and read this. I have never been a sign person, but Pam and Frank sent me one that I love that says, "It is what it is" and that is a phrase I use all of the time. Sharon bought me a casserole dish with it on it.This is so true and I love it. The South is just the South.( I may be part Buckeye, but have been raised in the south)  We saw this when we were out for a girl day and I started to buy it, but couldn't think where I would hang it, Amanda knew if she got it I would figure out where to hang it and I did. Over my sink where I could see it several times a day. I love it
Monday some friends from Ohio stopped over on a trip they are doing down the Natchez Trace to New Orleans. They brought their sister and brother in law with them and what a good time we had. It was just so nice visiting and eating and visiting and eating.lol Well you get it. They left yesterday and it was very quiet here. I was trying not to be envious, but they were going to the Grand Ole Opry last night and one of my favorites, Gene Watson was going to be there. You all know I love the old country music. Carl Smith, Ray Price, and Hank Williams are in my cd player in the car as we speak. I open the moon roof and sing along loud!lol anyway this is what they are traveling in.
Don't you feel sorry for them?lol
Patsy and  Me above, Alice and Kathleen below. I love the laugh on Alice face in this one. I
 am so happy we all reconnected a few years ago.
Now for the title of this post. Remember last year when my friend Patsy, my friend from high school,  made the comment, that we,(our little group) were in the 4th quarter of our lives. I did a post on it. Well, it is another year and I have a birthday looming in the shadows. It makes you stop and think when you reach a certain age, and that age varies for different people. I am blessed to be a descendant of people who live into their late  80's to mid 90's. I am not thinking I am going to die soon, but lets face it, there aren't as many years left as if I were 50. So, with that said, I was thinking over Mothers Day about some women, and I mentioned them on my last blog, who had mentored me as a young wife and mother. It made me stop and think have I helped anyone? We just don't know, do we?  I hope I have.
Being half way through the fourth quarter, gives you freedom. How? You are more willing to try new things. You will step out of your box, you forgive easily, you don't get your feelings hurt very easily and you don't get angry. You can laugh more freely, at yourself or the situation. You know what is important and what isn't. You know people matter, things don't.You know you are blessed in ways you didn't in your 30's, 40's, and 50's. You enjoy things in a different way. You are free to be, free to do and free to enjoy life. Curt made the comment many years ago when I let my hair go gray, he told Deb one day, "Mom has gray hair. she can do what she wants, Why she can sit on the curb and spit in the street, if she wants too." Well  I haven't done that yet, but who knows, I may just to see what it feels like!lol So being half way through the fourth quarter is a good thing. I am thankful I had my children young, because I am now enjoying my great grand children which is a real treat. Only Mollie tells me I am gaauuuorrrrrgggggguuuus!lol (Said in a fake southern accent) So this birthday coming up may be a milestone, but I will enjoy it and look forward to many more. This one will be spent with my sister in law in Niagra Falls. We have been planning this trip for 3 years and something has happened everytime, so we hope it actually happens this time.lol She has a daughter who is expecting in June so anything could happen. However it will come to pass, sooner or later. We have so much fun traveling together, and yes, lots of times we just fly by the seat of our pants. Oh yes, we have had some adventures. I will post lots of pictures, you can count on it.(I know you can't wait)lol
I had a nice surprise the other day. My cousin Carol Sue, and her husband are going to visit their daughter in Franklin in July and invited me to come over. I am going and we are going to the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night. I am marking the days off like a kid before Christmas. I grew up going and CarolSue and her family went with us, when we were children. So this is a double treat for me. In June I am going to the beach for the June trip. I LOVE this trip. Eating sea food and just being. Love the panhandle and Seagrove is the most peaceful place EVER!lol
See what I mean? You can just be and I love sitting here. I always think of the line from the poem. "Dear God your sea is so vast and my boat is so small" This place just wipes everything away but the present.
Also in July Debs family is taking a celebratory trip to a cabin in Pigeon Forge for a few days. We will celebrate Curts graduation Ryan finishing his residency and all of them moving back home. They all have bought homes here and we cannot wait to get Amelia here. The parents are welcomed too.lol
So you see there are lots of fun days ahead, if the Lord is willing. I truly am enjoying this quarter of life. God is good and I am grateful.
One personal thing I will share. I think with Curtis' illness and nursing home for 6&1/2 years, then his death last year, I never took time to grieve. I tried to stay strong and be brave for my children and grandchildren. I must have succeeded because several comments I pulled out of the jar referred to my strength. I was happy to be an example for them. However the week before Mothers Day it hit me. I miss him so much and wish it hadn't ended the way it did. I would love for the greats to have known him, as well as the grand in laws. But I can say, I finally let go and let the grieving. Now I must move on toward the rest of the fourth quarter. I am glad you came Through My Back Door where life is good.
betty
PS: I hope you enjoy everyday to the fullest. Tell those around you that you love them.No matter their faults.
PSS: Continue to pray for fellow bloggers, that are mia, due to things going on in  their lives
PSSS: Thanks  for all the e-mails about Dodd's victory. I know he will do his best.




10 comments:

  1. Betty, I want to be just like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well when it is not possible to sit in your living room and chat with you in person, your blog is second best. I so enjoy visiting with you this way. Today's post hit home to me as well. After a close call, I have decided to live each day to the fullest. Some people are just not to be in your life and those who brought me down, and was always negative are no longer a part of my life or my friends on face book. I wake thanking God for another day and am living each day to the fullest. What fun!!! Sounds like you have a lot of fun trips ahead. ENJOY!! You are so deserving.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty, once again it is nice to come thru your back door for a visit, not to sure 'bout the name of the coffee tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the post, Betty! So glad you had a nice Mother's Day and visit with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evening Betty, always a joy to sit with a cup of coffee and visit you. So happy you had a wonderful Mothers Day, also a visit with your friends, Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty - what a sweet and special post.
    A visit from friends, great gifts from loved ones and soon to be spending time with family on vacations...it doesn't get much better than that does it!!!
    You are blessed my friend that's for sure and I believe some of it is because of your attitude...you get what you give!
    Hey, I recognize that booth (don't I????)
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Betty: Trying to get caught up on blog reading. I saw the picture of you and Karen on her blog and was so jealous that you two could meet. This post was so interesting and yes, I, too am in that 4th quarter of my life but enjoying every minute. I loved your new sign: "It is What it is" as this is one of my favorites. I also have one that says: "LIVE in the MOMENT. and that is a belief of mine, too. You are so lucky to have such a busy life as I believe that is what keeps you young! And, you, my dear, are the youngest "4th quarter person" I know. Love ya.
    {{HUGS}}
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to come by for a visit and so glad I did! I am always blessed.. I have not been posting or visiting just to many other things in front of that...You may be in your fourth quarter but you live life to the fullest and I love that about you.. There is something about getting older...things just do not stress you as much as when you are young...I guess that is why the Bible tells the old to teach the young...teaching them to "let go" enjoy life...and to be examples of peace and happines.. Peace and happiness come when we can just "let go and enjoy"! I am learning every day more and more about what is important and what is not important...Thanks for another reminder and happy post.. Have a great one! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ms. Betty, it's been to long since I came through the back door! so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!! I will say you have left a lasting impression on me, when I needed it most! Hugs! I didn't have great role models... Grandmother's that left something to be desired.. a Mom that at times forgot she had other children then the sister... I have learned to put up a brave face, and go it on my own... I have learned a lot about myself this year.. and you have been a bright spot! Hugs! OLM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.I love to read your comments.