Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Too Old for Life In the Fast Lane, But Driving In It Anyway

Good evening and welcome Through My Back Door. It has been a while since you visited and it is so nice to see you. Help yourself to a cup of coffee and come sit and visit. It is Kona, can you tell? I have been very busy and enjoying every minute of it. Last Tuesday my cousins, Verleen and Carol Sue came here from Michigan. We spent the night here and got up Wednesday and headed to Charlottesville, Va, to our Aunt Jeans and cousin Katrina's. Remember the Aunts birthday in September?
This is Carol Sue, Katrina, and Verleen in our grandparents porch swing. All of us grandchildren have happy memories of this swing. Katrina is the guardian of it now.
It hung on our grandparents porch as long as any of us can remember and I got in trouble more than once for swinging it so high it would turn over.
Katrina has a beautiful home with lots of land.
This is the view out her back door. she has horses, but they don't show up in this picture. We had such a good time laughing, sharing memories, making new ones, and of course eating.
We went to Monticello on Thursday and took the behind the scenes tour. What a joy! Getting to go up and see the bedrooms and actually walk into the Rotunda was just wonderful. Spending time with my Aunt Jean is always a pleasure. I am named after her and love her to pieces. We got to meet Katrina's grandson Tripp and see his Mama and Daddy. He was such a joy and I got no pictures.
We came home on Friday and spent the night here. Verleen got sick and couldn't go, but Carol Sue and I went to a friends house for supper. Mary Ann and Donnie Keck. Donnie grew up with us girls and was like a brother to me. When Verleen and Carol Sue come into town we always try to see him. His health isn't good, but Mary Ann had us for supper anyway.
On Saturday we left for Nashville to spend the night. Carol Sue has a daughter who lives there and we went to visit her. After checking into the hotel we drove over and had dinner with Dayna and Ben.
Came back here on Sunday and and they stayed until yesterday.Very quiet at my house now. I really enjoyed my time with my cousins. We all are so similar and have so many memories of our grandparents, our aunts and uncles, it was wonderful to share. We know we are blessed to have their influence in our lives, and we know they would be proud to see how their great grandchildren, as well as us, have turned out. One more thing before I end this part of our visit. This is an important bush.
This lilac bush is one from Nannies yard. My Aunt Annie gave the starting to Katrina. Do you see why we are so blessed?
Today was a special day too. You know there are 4 of my high school friends that get together regularly. Well today a friend was here from Atlanta and Patsy has a luncheon at her house. for us. there were 7 of us there. What a fun time. Kathleen brought some high school memorabilia and we all enjoyed seeing that. It was a bit bittersweet as one of the newspapers had Curtis picture when he was elected class president. We got a lot of laughs from the Class Prophecy from our senior year. I will share that Alice and I were to be running a very successful restaurant and were too big to be photographed. (Don't know if that was too big as celebs, or too big in size,lol) Patsy was teaching Agriculture and Kathleen was a successful house wife.lol That was the only one that came to be. Patsy is about as far removed from agriculture as anyone could be.
Not too good, but a few of the girls today. Several of us have grey hair.lol
Life has really been busy for me and I have enjoyed every minute of it.I am so thankful for all of my family and friends. I don't deserve it but God has certainly blessed me. I am blessed when you come Through My Back Door where life is good.
betty
PS: I have one more trip coming up in a bit. We are going to DC to see Olivia and tour the Capitol. She is doing her internship in Sen Corkers office and can give us the tour. I am so pleased it will be my granddaughter giving me the tour.
Now do you get my reason for the title?lol
Gotta love this girl
PSS: I hope to be a better blogger in the future. I have been horrible lately.
PSSS: Debbie and Michael are back from their trip to Hawaii. They had a wonderful time and the pictures were just beautiful We found out there was a Crowe on the Arizona as well as a couple of Summers.(My maiden name) We are going to try to find out if we were related. She was in awe of Pearl Harbor




6 comments:

  1. So glad you could get together with your cousins. Looks like a great time was had by all. Looking forward to more pics from your trips and of Deb's trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you posted today. Love keeping up with you. I need to text Debbie and tall her so glad they had a great trip. When Dale and I went several years ago, It was one of my favorite's too. We were in Knoxville last weekend and had such a great time. Curt treated us to Ruth's Chris. He's been saying he wanted to do that once he got established. He did, and it was sooooo good! Love your grandson, my son-ini-law so much! He and Lindsey are just so perfect for each other. They have found a wonderful church and are making such good Christian friends. God is so good! Love you all! Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty you've been absent and we missed you but knew you were out and about enjoying yourself. what a sweet time for you! love the stories of your family.
    My uncle was a survivir of the Arizona. His last name was Holmes, my maiden name.
    He passed away several years ago.
    Do you have your new door in yet?
    oxox
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Betty, such a warm wonderful post. Love the swing, so much joy. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Betty to live your life! Soooo busy with friends and family - I love reading all that you get to do and do it with.
    Traveling and family are tops in your life and that's just how it should be.

    I hope we get to meet again some day - SOON!

    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have your cousins and friends to enjoy life with, and the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.I love to read your comments.